The Full Moon at the Napping House
(Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
After 30 years, Don and Audrey Wood finally revisit the setting of the classic story with a sequel to The Napping House.
Author: Audrey Wood and Don Wood
Genre: Picture Book
Reader Appeal: Preschool (and Parents!)
Chances are good that if you have children, at some point in their lives you read aloud the Don and Audrey Wood’s classic “cumulative story,” The Napping House. (And chances are even better that if you read it once to your kids, you read it 100 times.) In that timeless tale, a cozy little family (complete with a snoring granny, a dreaming child, a dozing dog, and a snoozing cat) cuddle up one by one for a good night’s sleep until…Well, something happens, and you can guess what happens next. As expected, it’s delightful.
Thirty years and 2.1 million books later, the Woods have finally returned home with the sequel to that book, The Full Moon at the Napping House. Here are six things you need to know about this new book:
1) In this new book, our cozy little family CAN’T SLEEP! Thank goodness a chirping cricket sings a lullaby that calms, one by one, the family and sends everyone off to dreamland.
2) Yes, it’s a “cumulative story” just like The Napping House. In essence, it’s The Napping House in reverse.
3) Don Wood is stunning as an illustrator. Honestly, you and your preschooler could just look at the pictures and be delighted by The Full Moon at the Napping House.
4) Audrey Wood is no slouch, though. Her patterned text and rhythmic lines are a soothing, entertaining commentary on her husband’s art.
5) The house illustrated in this book is actually a picture-book portrayal of the California home Don and Audrey Wood actually live in!
6) If interested, your child can send a fan email to Audrey Wood at: email@example.com.
Enjoy The Full Moon at the Napping House with your family today!
Let's Talk About It
Use these questions to spark discussion among family members who are interested in this book:
• What do you like best about The Full Moon at the Napping House
• What do you do when you feel like you can’t go to sleep?
• Some people like to pray before going to sleep. Do you like to do that? Why or why not?
All product-related graphics in this article are standard publicity/promotional shots and are owned by their respective publisher.